Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business. (Please know, that affiliate links may be used in this post which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through some of my links. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 6 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog Improvements
- My week in Review
- Extra Income Earned
- Extra Income Received
- Goals I accomplished During the Week
- Goal for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
- I successfully added a subscription box within the content of my posts using the Rapidology Plug-In.
Time spent on my blog this week:
- I made sure to devote at least one hour each day during this week to work on blog related tasks so I can finish the year out strong. I probably spent about 7 hours (Add weekend time)
I published my How to Keep Money in Your Pocket on Black Friday!
- I did not add any plug-ins this week.
- I did not add any new affiliate partners this week.
- I am at 62 email subscribers this week, which means I gained 5 new subscribers this week. I’m happy to see an increase from my normal 2-3 per week. I think this small increase was due to my adding a subscription box within the content of my posts.
- Here is what my analytics looked like compared to last week:
|Last Week||This Week|
|Average Session Duration||00:54||01:55||+01:01|
- I am really happy that I got over 500 page views this week. Honestly, it looks like more people are coming back to my site and they are staying longer and looking at more of my posts. So even though my percentage of new sessions are down, I view this week as a success because people finally seem to be liking what my blog is about. Woo hoo!
My Week in Review
- I had another great week of meeting my sales goals at work this week!
- I went to the gym 6 times this week! I hope to continue to do this although I’ll have to be very diligent about planning during the holiday season this year.
- My brother actually connected me with an SEO professional who I had an hour long conversation with this week about how to improve my blog.
- I have been planning A LOT of ideas for 2017. It is so crazy, how I can already tell I am going to succeed at being an entrepreneur. This may sound pretentious, but let me assure you it’s not. I just know that my mindset is in the right place to make this happen. I will not give up and I can’t wait to see what my business turns into over the next couple of years.
Productivity Tips & Tricks:
- I took the advice from my blogging coach Jennifer Snyder, and devoted a minimum of one hour each day to blog related tasks.
- I set a task for each day of the week that I really wanted to focus on
- I made sure to work on the blog after immediately getting home from work, so I could truly have all of my work out of the way before heading to the gym and then could spend the rest of my evening relaxing.
- I did not attend any webinars this week. I plan on resuming webinars in December.
- My grandmother had a stroke this weekend. We aren’t sure of the extent of the damage just yet, but she is alive. I’m hoping to be able to go visit her this upcoming weekend since this was a very serious health scare and we aren’t sure of the full repercussions of it yet.
Extra Income Earned: $44.47
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
Survey and Offer Sites: $0.62
American Consumer Opinion: $5.60 currently in this account. (+ $0.30)
Inbox Dollars: $25.10(+$0.30) (I’ve been using this site for paid emails which give me $0.02 every time I click an email and I can cash out once my account reaches $30)
Swagbucks: 2,630 points (+2 SB) (I have now earned enough for a $25 gift card!)
ShopKick: 3,512 kicks (+85 kicks) If you sign up please use my referral code lincoln56422
Ibotta: $4.50 (+$0.00) If you sign up using my referral code RKIOW, you will instantly start with $10.00 in your account, and I’ll get $5.00)
Mystery Shopping $29.50 ($12.00 reimbursement for dinner)
(there haven’t been many shops available for me lately)
Company #1: $11.50
Company 2: $18.00 ($12.00 reimbursement for dinner)
Extra Income Received: $140.00 ($9.00 reimbursement for dinner)
Mystery Shopping Company #1: $7.00
Mystery Shopping Company #2: $13.00 ($9.00 reimbursement for dinner)
Blue Host Affiliate: $120.00 (this is from an affiliate sale I made in September)
Goals I Accomplished This Week
Monday- Edit content and picture for Thursday’s post. Work on coaching assignments.- Pass!
Tuesday- Add my disclosure policy to the footer of my blog and remove from my menu-Fail. I did attempt to do this, and I have a new plug-in suggestion to try so I will keep working on this.
Wednesday- Research new themes (hopefully decide on one and purchase it)- Fail. I did research new themes but I did not decide on one yet.
Thursday- Publish post. Promote-Pass! I published How to Keep Money in Your Pocket on Black Friday.
Friday- Take night off-Funny story, this really wasn’t a pass. I spent time catching up on some of my blog coaching assignments but I don’t mind at all.
Saturday- Get Thrive landing pages and install it on my blog- Fail. I did purchase Thrive finally, but spent A LOT of time updating my opt-in offer (about 12 hours in addition to what I’ve already spent on it) So I hope to have my first landing page up and running by the end of this week!
Sunday- Figure out how to automate my freebie-Fail. I decided I didn’t like the way my freebie looked so I spent time updating the design, and adding additional items to it. My goal is to provide you with the best I can offer and with all the extra work I put in this week, I think I have met that goal for you.
Goals for Next Week
Monday- Edit post and picture for Friday’s post.
Tuesday- Research and decide on a new theme for my blog
Wednesday- I am going to be in NYC for Thanksgiving, so I will be taking this day off.
Thursday- Thanksgiving Day. I will be in NYC with family so I will be taking the day off as I encourage all of you to do as well.
Friday- Publish post and promote (I may change the day I publish a post this week due to all the craziness of the Holidays)
Saturday- Install Thrive landing pages on my blog
Sunday- Get my disclosure policy in my footer, and make a plan of attack for the Genius Blogger’s Toolkit I purchased a few weeks ago.
I think I’m in a blogging slump where I am just completely unmotivated which is really hard for me. I really love blogging, so I think I am going to assign myself one thing each day to focus on for about 30 minutes-1 hour, and then give myself one day off. I think that’s very reasonable and I think doing this could help me get back on track. Here’s my game plan for the week:
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!