Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business. (Please know, that affiliate links may be used in this post which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through some of my links. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 6 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog Improvements
- My Week in Review
- Extra Income Earned
- Extra Income Received
- Goals I accomplished During the Week
- Goal for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
- None. But I did decide on a new theme and did purchase it as one of my Black Friday items! Hopefully, my blog will start to look more like me soon.
Time spent on my blog this week:
- I did not spend any time on my blog this week. I’ll be very honest here. I’ve lost momentum and I chose not to spend time on improving my business this week. I have no excuses. I had time, I had energy, I had resources. I CHOSE NOT TO WORK ON MY BUSINESS. This is terrible. I don’t want to have any more of these weeks, but let’s be honest I most likely will. I’m working on coming up with a better course of action for what I know will work for me. Thank you for sticking with me while I work on improving myself and my business.
I published nothing. Grrr.
- I did not add any plug-ins this week.
- I did not add any new affiliate partners this week.
- I am at 63 email subscribers this week, which means I gained 1 new subscriber this week. I still need to get my landing page and opt-in offer up and running.
- Here are what my analytics looked like compared to last week:
|Last Week||This Week|
|Average Session Duration||02:10||02:03||-00:07|
- I’m not surprised my stats dropped so significantly this week. What I am disappointed in, is that this was a large increase week for many other bloggers who stayed focused and active. Since I chose not, here are my results.
My Week in Review
- I am very excited to say that my husband and I made a huge payment of $2,800 towards some of our debt this week. This means in the past 2 months we have paid off $4,000 in debt not including our normal payments. I am so proud of this accomplishment, and I am definitely going to be starting a series on this journey very soon detailing what we are doing to accomplish such a feat. Let me assure you though, we worked very hard to make this happen. This isn’t just money we had sitting around so please don’t instantly cast this success aside as something you, yourself can’t accomplish.
- To celebrate our financial success my husband and I decided to go to a movie. The best part was that it was another FREE advanced screening of Miss Sloane. Which is probably one of my favorite movies now just by the way 🙂
- I went to the gym once this week.
Productivity Tips & Tricks:
- Just don’t give up. Keep fighting even when you don’t want to.
- I did not attend any webinars this week. I plan on resuming webinars in January.
- My husband was sick for the majority of the week and had to call out of work because he has Strep Throat. Which unfortunately, means I will most likely get strep in the near future. The unfortunate part is they are starting to allow overtime at his work this week and for the next few weeks, but because he is sick he is unable to take advantage. I just hope he gets better soon since he hates feeling sick and not being able to work.
- I don’t know if you remember, but about a month ago, my husband and I both applied to seasonal positions working in the Amazon Fresh warehouse. Well, long story short the experience did not work out for either of us. It was without a doubt the most frustrating hiring experience I have ever encountered and I have applied to more jobs than I would care to admit. So, this unfortunately will not work out in our favor.
- I have a lot of personal stuff going on with my work and I think it’s affecting not only my performance, but also my personal life. I don’t want to share too much right now, but it’s worrisome and I’m hoping I can be prepared for whatever is to come.
Extra Income Earned: $25.57
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
Survey and Offer Sites: $2.48
American Consumer Opinion: $7.65 currently in this account. (+ $2.05)
Inbox Dollars: $25.50(+$0.40) (I’ve been using this site for paid emails which give me $0.02 every time I click an email and I can cash out once my account reaches $30)
Swagbucks: 2,633 points (+3 SB) (I have now earned enough for a $25 gift card!)
ShopKick: 3,621 kicks (+109 kicks) If you sign up please use my referral code lincoln56422
Ibotta: $4.50 (+$0.00) If you sign up using my referral code RKIOW, you will instantly start with $10.00 in your account, and I’ll get $5.00)
Mystery Shopping $22.00 ($5.00 was reimbursement for a grocery purchase)
(There are still very few shops available, but I am starting to take ones I don’t normally so I can keep a little bit of extra income coming in)
Company #1: $14.00
Company #2: $8.00 ($5.00 was reimbursement for purchasing something at a grocery store)
Extra Income Received: $11.50
Mystery Shopping Company #1: $11.50
Goals I Accomplished This Week
None. I did not set any goals for this week and I did not make any improvements.
Goals for Next Week
- Update my theme (no matter how small)
- Publish 1 Post
- Be active on Pinterest every day
I promise to always share with you the good and the bad because you may experience this too. It’s not easy to build a business of any kind and I want you to know that I am not giving up by any means. Please be patient with me as I hope to be improving the design of my blog, my content, and the value I bring to each of you!
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!