Hello my dear readers! For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost.
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted every weekend and will consist of 7 categories. I decided to add a section for Blog Improvements I have made during the week as this was the real reason for my wanting to have a weekly update anyways.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
So this is the end of week 6 of the life of my beloved blog. I am very excited to share my accomplishments from this week.
In case you didn’t read my post from two days ago, my computer was hacked this week and I did not have access to a personal computer for 3 days. So, I was only able to publish one post this week and for that I apologize. However, you can check out this post here: How to Set Goals You Can Keep
I decided to spend some time this past Sunday reading some articles I’ve been saving to my Blog Improvements Pinterest Board. One of the things I found was an article from Blog Brighter called 5 Awesome WordPress Plugins You Haven’t Heard About. I really liked the content view plugin and decided to give this a try. I am happy to say that I have now added a new widget to my sidebar that instead of listing the titles of all my recent blog posts should show the pictures of these blog posts. Currently, I just see the titles still but they are much brighter than before and displayed differently so I am okay with it for now but will work on getting the pictures working for this.
Blog Brighter also mentioned a plugin called Frizzly which I installed that allows my pictures to now have social media buttons hovering over them. Before I installed this, I noticed the “pin” interaction appeared very small above the picture and was hard to use. Hopefully, this will encourage readers to share and will allow them to do so much more easily.
I also decided to finally join Bloglovin. So, I successfully created an account and followed some of the bloggers whose posts I already read. I’m going to have to keep learning about this though because I don’t really know what I’m supposed to do on here yet. So I will keep you posted.
I then started working on how to create vertical photos to share on Pinterest. Currently all of my pinned photos are small little boxes which is not optimized. I want to optimize my pins so that they will hopefully be more noticed and shared. I played around with the collage feature on Picmonkey for this.
I updated my profile picture on my Twitter account. I know this may not apply directly to blog improvements, but I’m hoping having a picture on my Twitter account will increase my followers and therefore increase traffic to my blog.
I reached out with a new affiliate partner this week. I also found three others I am going to be contacting soon.
I started training for my new position at work (I can’t officially start in my new role until they find a replacement for my current position).
My husband planned a surprise overnight trip for us to go to Ocean City, Maryland. Since we haven’t been able to go on a trip just the two of us since our honeymoon, this was a nice late anniversary trip for us.
I read 1 book this week, but I am currently reading 3 other ones so I should finish a few more this week 🙂
I was offered an internship working with a Wedding Coordinating company!!!! I’m not sure if I will be able to say yes to this opportunity or not, but I am excited for the option at least since I really do love weddings and am still considering this as a potential career for myself in the future. I will let you know!
Extra Income I Earned:
(If you would like ideas on how you can earn extra income, check out my Recommendations page)
Surveys: So….I did close to nothing in surveys this week hence the low numbers below. But I did earn roughly $2.68 from surveys this week)
American Consumer Opinion : $3.35 currently in this account. (+ $2.25)
Inbox Dollars : $16.26 (+$0.39)
Swagbucks : 263 points (+4 points)
Mystery Shopping: This week was a slow one for mystery shopping. I was only able to complete 4 shops that earned me $12. Still, this small amount is always better than nothing! (Plus my next check is going to be double what my last one was!)
Affiliates: I did not earn anything from affiliates this week.
Extra Income I Received:
Unfortunately, I did not receive any payments from extra income sources this week. However, I am expecting at least one check next week.
This Week’s Goals:
I decided that each week I will set 10 small goals for my blog. All of them should be helping me reach my bigger goals that I set each month.
- Publish 3 posts. – Fail. As you may have noticed from one of my posts this week, my computer was hacked and I did not have a personal computer to work from for 3 days this week. In addition, my husband and I went on a late anniversary trip this weekend so I wasn’t able to accomplish much on the blog.
- Create a business plan. – Fail. After doing some research on business plans, I realized I had intended to make a blog work schedule instead of a business plan. However, I did download some templates for how to create my business plan.
- Network with 3 new bloggers.- Pass. From Pennies to Pounds, Blog Brighter, and Embracing Simple Blog.
- Grow my business Pinterest account followers to 300. – Pass! I currently have 395 followers on my Pinterest page!
- Grow Twitter followers to from 16 to 25. –Fail. But I did grow my followers to 22!
- Earn $20 in extra income. – Fail. I only earned $14.68 in extra income this week.
- Create content schedule for the month of June. – Fail. I maybe planned for a week’s worth of posts in June.
- Have 1 week worth of content prepared ahead of time. – Fail. Gahhh I really need to step up my game with this.
- Do some research on design tips – Pass! I installed some new plugins and saved a lot of design idea pins on Pinterest.
- Figure out how to make vertical pins on Pinterest. – Fail. I did play around on Picmonkey to try and determine this but I didn’t do this 100%.
Next Week’s Goals:
- Publish 3 posts
- Create a business schedule
- Network with 3 new bloggers
- Grow my business Pinterest account followers to 500
- Grow Twitter followers from 22 to 30
- Earn $50 in extra income
- Create Content schedule for the month of June and July.
- Have 1 week worth of content prepared ahead of time
- Make 2 design upgrades to my blog
- Change all of my pins to vertical pins on Pinterest
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!