Hello my dear readers! For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost. (this post contains affiliate links, but only those I also personally use)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
So this is the end of week 10 of the life of my beloved blog. Again, not my most productive week. I was feeling very unmotivated this week, and this weekend has been rough emotionally. These aren’t excuses, I just gave into them. So… I really want this upcoming week to be a huge success to finish this month out strong!
You can check them out here:
- I updated my TinyPNG plugin as I noticed my pictures weren’t compressing. This should be working now
- I installed the Sumo Me plugin and now readers will see a pop-up box asking them to sign up to my newsletter! Since I’m currently using the free version I will still have to do some work but hopefully this will help grow the number of readers returning to my site.
- I updated my PayPal account. I’ve been meaning to do this for several weeks and now I finally have! Now any incoming payments should process without problem.
- We paid off our first loan this week! This will put an extra $100 in our pocket every month that we will then use towards paying off our next loan!
- I finished the new season of OITNB!!! If you watch this show please comment below because that finale was crazy!!!! (no spoilers for anyone else though please)
- I subscribed (using a 2 week free trial) to $5 Meal plan! I am testing this service out to try and help reduce my grocery budget even further!
- I read 2 books this week!
- I started my new job!!! I’m so excited as I have wanted this type of job for several years now and this particular job within my company since last October! I am so motivated at work now!
Extra Income I Earned: $11.75 (really $36.75)
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Recommendations page)
Surveys: I had to be very proactive this week in this area because my mystery shopping opportunities have been low. Swagbucks earned me very large amount this week so I’m excited!
American Consumer Opinion: $4.55 currently in this account. (+ $0.10)
Inbox Dollars: $20.00 (+$0.42)
Swagbucks: 1,405 points (+1023 points)
I really utilized Swagbucks this week to earn $35! I have only been credited for $10 of it though so I will add the other points to my next weekly update! Swagbucks is great because you can get paid for shopping you may do! So this week I took advantage of 2 offers.
The first offer was getting 1000 points ($10) for purchasing 2 hefty trash bag items through Walmart.com and picking them up in the store. I will have to follow up with getting these points.
The second offer was 2500 points for signing up for Dollar Shave Club. My husband and I currently use Dollar Shave Club so I just canceled our current account and created a new one through Swagbucks. So I earned 1000 points from doing that, but then I will earn an additional 1500 points if I keep the account active for 3 months. I may have to follow up with getting the additional 1500 points. I also highly recommend you start using Dollar Shave Club, because it is so much cheaper than buying razors at the store. And these are good razors!
Mystery Shopping: $0.00
There have been no mystery shopping opportunities in my area the past two weeks. I’m wondering if this is typical for summer time. However, I have over $200 in shops lined up for July! So that will help!
Affiliates: $1.00 (yay mostly passive income!)
Extra Income I Received: $0.00
This Week’s Goals:
I decided that each week I will set 10 small goals for my blog. All of them should be helping me reach my bigger goals that I set each month.
- Update all of the pictures on my blog – Fail. I had time and just didn’t do this.
- Apply to 2 new affiliate partners – Pass! However, one of these partners denied my application because I live in a state they can’t work with.
- Have content prepared 1 day ahead of time –Pass! I had my posts ready the day before so all I had to do was edit and post the next morning.
- Grow my business Pinterest account to 800 followers-Fail. But I did reach 757!
- Earn $50 in extra income-Fail. It’s been a slow week with extra money opportunities. I’m going to have to start looking for more ideas.
- Publish 2 posts- Pass! The Realities of Attending an Advanced Movie Screening and What to Do When You Have No Money
- Work on my Tumblr page-Fail. Grrr.
- Update the pages to have drop down menus-Fail. I need to devote time to figure this out.
- Create content schedule through end of 2016-Fail. I think I work best just writing down post ideas and planning for the week ahead.
- Grow my subscription list to 10-Fail. I’m disappointed that my SumoMe plugin didn’t attract more signups. I’m going to have to get more creative.
Next Week’s Goals:
- Update all of the pictures on my blog
- Apply to 2 new affiliate partners
- Grow my business Pinterest account to 1000 followers
- Earn $50 in extra income
- Publish 3 posts
- Add drop down menus to homepage
- Grow my subscription list to 15
- Improve design of blog
- Work on tumblr page (this could be a new source of traffic so I really need to do this)
- Look for additional blogging tools I can use to improve my blog
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I do know that growing this blog is going to become a lot harder now that I am starting my new position, but I plan to push through! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!