Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business.
If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost. (Please know, that I am an affiliate partner for Bluehost which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through my link. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
So here is the end of week 20! Wow I can’t believe we’re almost halfway through my first year of blogging. This realization is scary, but is definitely motivating because I really want to see some progress before the end of my first year! So, I did make some progress this week by publishing 2 posts, and creating a short-term plan for September to make improvements on this blog. I think it’s great I’m starting to focus less on making money from side hustles and instead focusing more on really making this blog memorable, special, and providing some crazy awesome value! I think I’m one the right path now, by cutting myself some slack and having a narrower focus. And! I already have my post written and ready to publish for this week! I’m hoping to have 3 more done by tomorrow! I’ll let you know how it goes!
- I published 2 posts this week!
- I finally went through the notes I took from all the webinars I attended in the past few weeks. I was able to identify some action steps that I want to implement from what I’ve learned and I’m really excited to see how these goals go!
- I spent some time focusing on Pinterest this week. I am working on filling up my boards and being more active. I’ve also been making sure the new content I’m pinning have a keyword rich description and a call to action.
- I met with a friend who works in the same building as me for lunch this week. It started out as just a hang out lunch, but actually turned into a fantastically productive conversation because she has experience in web design! We are going to be meeting soon to discuss some plans I have for how I would like my blog to look. I’m hoping I can get her some experience and I can secure a great deal on improving the design of my blog! I’ll keep you posted!
- My husband and I have been consistently working out for almost 3 weeks now and eating healthier. I have successfully lost 5 pounds from making the few changes that I did! (Now he lost 11 but we all know it’s easier for me to lose weight anyways so I’m still proud!)
- I went to a library book sale yesterday (that I didn’t know about) and I was able to get 30 books plus a dvd for $13!!!! I was so excited about this!
- I was able to spend some quality time with some friends from work this week!
- I went to a local fish market for the first time ever yesterday!
- I am starting to earn cash back with my new credit card that arrived in the mail this week! Now this is still a scary thing for me because I want to use this to benefit our finances and not to harm them. Also, this should really help balance out our cash flow each month so that we worry about paying one amount at the end of each month instead of worrying about what is going to be coming out of each paycheck. We’ll see how this goes though!
Extra Income I Earned: $15.52
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
American Consumer Opinion: $9.55 currently in this account. (+ $0.20)
Inbox Dollars: $21.86 (+$0.28)
Swagbucks: 2,467 points (+4 SB)
ShopKick: 15,342 kicks (+0 kicks)
Mystery Shopping: $15.00
Extra Income I Received: $0.00
This Week’s Goals:
- Publish 1 post and my August 2016 Income Report- Pass! I published How to save money on a cruise and my August 2016 Income Report
- Create a time schedule for blog tasks and activities- Fail. While I did think about this a lot and I started to do this, I did not actually finish organizing and planning my time. I have an extra day off this week though so I plan to do this today and tomorrow.
- Organize my thoughts, actions, and create a goal oriented plan moving forward.-Pass! Now I didn’t do this to the full extent that I wanted, I did organize my plan for the month of September. I will work more on planning a long-term plan soon.
Next Week’s Goals:
- Publish 1 post and a weekly update
- Start my free trial with Boardbooster
- Figure out the Rapidology plug-in
- Finish my About Me page update
- Have this month’s posts written (I’ve already written 1 so I need 3 more)
- Create a schedule for how I am going to be using my time
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!