Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business.
If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost. (Please know, that I am an affiliate partner for Bluehost which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through my link. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
So here is the end of week 21! I really stepped up my game this week and I saw a lot of great progress! Guess it’s safe to say I am back!!!! I did so many things this week I can’t wait to share it with you all below! I’m basically just winning all over the place! This was a great week for extra income, an increase in traffic, and 4 new email subscribers!!! This goes to show that I really wasn’t putting in the work before, but now I’m putting in the right work in the right areas I feel like and I’m very excited to see the future of this blog and how quickly I can meet my goals! However, while I succeeded in increasing my productivity and focus on my blog this week, I did have a set back in my personal life as I really struggled with staying consistent with working out and eating healthy. I hope to be able to do a better job balancing all that I hope to accomplish as the weeks progress.
- I messed around with the design of my blog by changing the colors and fonts. I’m not 100% happy yet, but at least I’m testing out new looks.
- I applied to be an affiliate partner with Fiverr. This may not work out though because they have something in their policy about Google Adsense and SEO. I’ve emailed them about this to see what those restrictions are, but haven’t heard back from them yet.
- Activated the Akismet Plug-in on my blog. I’ve had it sitting there forever but never thought twice about it, until I saw it mentioned in one of the Facebook groups I’m a part of. So I decided to give it a try. Already I am pleased with the decision, because I no longer have to filter through all the spam comments I get on a daily basis. Instead, they are placed into my spam folder directly without my having to do a thing.
- I created a schedule for the blog tasks I wanted to accomplish each day. Even more important, I stuck to this schedule and was very productive this week!
- I started focusing on increasing my activity on Pinterest. I updated my profile by adding an about me section, and changed my profile name because it wasn’t fitting in one line.
- I decided I am going to start to track my debt repayments every month, so be on the lookout for this new section in my monthly income reports!
- I made my first investment in my blog (other than buying it). I joined Jen Snyder’s coaching group The Society of Winning Women. Jen is incredible and I am so excited for the next 3 months in this coaching program. Check out her blog WomenWinningOnline!
- I met with a friend who is interested in helping me improve the design of my blog. We had a business dinner meeting and discussed.
- I really spent time this week focusing on Pinterest. I changed my mindset from spending all my time on producing content, to spending 80% of that same time promoting my content just on Pinterest. In one week, my daily impressions JUMPED from under 1,000 to over 4,000 and my average monthly viewers jumped from right under 5,000 to over 10,000!
- My email subscribers grew from 16 to 22 this week!
- I finished one book this week!
- I had 2 posts completely finished and 2 posts halfway finished over Labor Day weekend!
- I completed a course through my work called High-Impact Communication and am now 3 courses away from getting my Master’s certificate in Project Management, for free!
Extra Income I Earned: $112.13
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
American Consumer Opinion: $9.55 currently in this account. (+ $0.00)
Inbox Dollars: $22.14 (+$0.28)
Swagbucks: 2,482 points (+15 SB)
ShopKick: 15,412 kicks (+70 kicks)
Mystery Shopping: $111.00 ($40 is reimbursement for an oil change)
Affiliates: $0.00 (Bluehost)
Extra Income I Received: $77.00
Mystery Shopping: $77.00
This Week’s Goals:
- Publish 1 post and a weekly update-Pass! I posted How to Save Money on Personal Hygiene Items and this update!
- Start my free trial with Boardbooster-Fail. However, this isn’t exactly a fail because I didn’t start my free trial with this on purpose. I’m still trying to decide between boardbooster and tailwind.
- Figure out the Rapidology plug-in-Fail. Didn’t think about this, this week.
- Finish my About Me page update-Fail. I have been thinking about this alot, but this week was just exceptionally busy so I didn’t make the time to put my thoughts on paper.
- Have this month’s posts written (I’ve already written 1 so I need 3 more)-Fail. I didn’t focus on writing much this week because I was more focused on promoting my content.
- Create a schedule for how I am going to be using my time- Pass! I totally did this and stuck to it!
Next Week’s Goals:
- Complete all the of assignments in my coaching group.
- Publish 1 post and 1 weekly update
- Add 10 new email subscribers
- Increase my average monthly viewers on Pinterest to 20,000 and my daily impressions to 8,000.
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!