Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business. (Please know, that affiliate links may be used in this post which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through some of my links. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
Week 23!!! Woo hoo! I still feel like I never get enough done, but honestly let’s just look at the numbers shall we? I feel like I saw massive growth again this month. I know I am on the right track and I am so excited. The goals I set for this blog at the end of the year really could come to fruition! I just need to keep pushing harder and I know I can.
- So last week, I sent out my first survey to my email subscriber list. I was very disappointed when I saw that no one even opened it! Sooo… I’m not sure what I did wrong there or what I can do to improve, but I will! Anyways, I did have some amazing ladies in my blogging coaching group post my survey in other Facebook groups and some of them even filled out my survey for me. So I was able to finish collecting data from my niche and compiled all 11 responses together so that I could get to know you guys better!
- I decided what my freebie will be to hopefully entice more of you lovely readers to subscribe to my tribe and follow me more!
- I created a plan of attack on how to make money blogging next month! I still have some basics I really want to get set up, but I think it’s okay to start focusing on the monetization aspect as well.
- I created a new template for my “Starting a Blog” series. So come back next week to see this new layout! Also, feel free to give me suggestions on what you would like to read in these weekly updates! I do write them for you after all!
- I created a template for a new debt repayment series that I am going to be starting next month!
- I decided on the colors I want for my blog! How does black, teal, red, and yellow sound?!?!?! Concerned? It’s going to be great I promise!
- My email subscribers grew from 30 to 47! I gained 17 new subscribers in 1 week! That is double what I earned last week!!! So if we can just keep doubling the amount each week I’m good!
- On Pinterest, my average monthly viewers grew from around 12,000 to over 18,000 and my average monthly engaged grew to 504! Yeah buddy! Now my daily impressions stayed the same at about 2,000 but I’m still getting some larger spikes so as long as this trend keeps heading upwards I’m happy! I haven’t even started using anything to help me yet!!!!
- I purchased a marketing tool that I think is going to really help me bring more traffic to my blog. It’s called Find Your Tribe Online and was created by Jen Snyder. She provides access to 140 group Pinterest boards, 160 Facebook groups, 155 popular bloggers, and 14 different blogging niches. It’s only $17 so you definitely should check this product out!
- I finished all of my blogging coaching group assignments thus far! I got a week behind there for a while but now I’m all caught up and back into action!
- I finished reading 2 books this week! Unfortunately, these were books I REALLY enjoyed so now I’m hesitant to start a new one because these were soooooo good! If you are a fan of fairytale retellings I highly recommend “A Court of Thorns and Roses” by Sarah J. Mass! Oh my word, this book was delicious! (By the way, I plan on starting a youtube channel about the books I read once this blog is up and running. It’s a real thing guys!)
- I went to the gym once (better than none!)
So if you read my weekly update 2 weeks ago, you would know that I hurt my neck and shoulder pretty badly and was down for the count all weekend. This week, we noticed that our cat, Pirate Jo, was having a lot of issues using the restroom. We decided to take him to the emergency animal hospital since our vet was closed and we were concerned it could be serious. Well, it turned out he had a blocked bladder which resulted in emergency treatment and a $5,200 vet bill. I am not exaggerating.
I keep thinking about how crazy I am for being willing to spend that kind of money on a cat. But, let’s think about this reasonably. When you decide to get a pet, you are also agreeing to any medical issues they may have along the road such as in the case of our pet. In most cases, your pet is family. So when we were faced with the choice of letting Pirate Jo die of an excruciating death, putting him to sleep, or keeping him alive, well you know how we chose.
So instead of letting this financial setback bring us down, we have started “Operation Pay off the Cat!” This situation also inspired me to finally begin my debt repayment series which I will begin next week! Silver Lining right?
Extra Income I Earned: $158.86
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
Survey and Offer Sites: $1.81
American Consumer Opinion: $0.50 currently in this account. (+ $0.50)
Inbox Dollars: $22.74 (+$0.26) (I’ve been using this site for paid emails which give me $0.02 every time I click an email)
Swagbucks: 2,589 points (+105 SB) (I have now earned enough for a $25 gift card!)
ShopKick: 15,532 kicks (+30 kicks) (I’ve already earned over $60 in gift cards from this app) If you sign up please use my referral code lincoln56422
Ibotta: $2.75 (+$0.75) If you sign up using my referral code RKIOW, you will instantly start with $10.00 in your account, and I’ll get $5.00)
Mystery Shopping: $36.00
Company #1: $36.00
Company #2: $0.00
Affiliates: $120.00 (Bluehost)
Extra Income I Received: $76.00
Mystery Shopping Company #1: $76.00
This Week’s Goals:
- Start my free trial with Tailwind. – Fail. Okay, I did set this up but I didn’t actually start my free trial. I think this is going to take awhile, so I plan on devoting one night this week to just setting up Tailwind.
- Identify what I am going to create as my “Freebie” item for new email subscribers.- Pass! I actually have quite a few I want to offer, but I know which one I am going to start with. This goal actually goes along really well with my coaching group’s focus task this week too. Go figure!
- Decrease my bounce rate. (Right now it’s at 90% which is AWFUL but is was still high around 67-70% when I was only getting 50 page views a day so once I get consistent page views I need to tackle this problem)-Pass! So I didn’t decrease my bounce rate by much but it’s down to 89.69%. So that is something right? Does anyone have any ideas on how to decrease bounce rate?
- Finish my About Me Page – Fail. Sigh
Next Week’s Goals:
- Have Tailwind up and running.
- Have my About Me page done and make sure it’s awesome!
- Create the general outline for my freebie
- Start focus on more ways of increasing income. (Operation pay off the cat is in effect)
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!