Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business. (Please know, that affiliate links may be used in this post which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through some of my links. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 6 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog Improvements
- My week in Review
- Extra Income Earned
- Extra Income Received
- Goals I accomplished During the Week
- Goal for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
- I did not make any design improvements this week
Time spent on my blog this week:
- Well, I did spend time working on my November income report so I guess that counts. I probably spent about 2 hours last week focused on blog related tasks since I was really wrapped up in work and wedding events.
I did not publish any posts this week. I apologize.
- I did not add any plug-ins this week.
- I did not add any new affiliate partners this week.
- I am at 57 email subscribers this week, which means I gained 0 new subscribers this week. Honestly, I’m not surprised by this since I really did next to nothing on my blog.
- Here is what my analytics looked like compared to last week:
|Last Week||This Week|
|Average Session Duration||00:53||01:01||+00:08|
- You know, I’m actually very shocked that I didn’t see a larger traffic drop this week. I honestly didn’t spend any time promoting or posting so it’s nice that while my overall page views and visitors did drop it wasn’t by a much more significant amount. Also, I saw a decrease in my bounce rate, an increase in new sessions and users! So, not a terrible loss this week by any means.
My Week in Review
- I coordinated my first wedding on my own! This was my first paid gig as well and it was great to see some very dear friends of mine get married after so many years.
- This was my highest earning week to date as far as extra income goes! I’m very excited about this accomplishment.
Productivity Tips & Tricks:
- All of my focus was on the wedding I coordinated this weekend so I didn’t work on the blog at all.
- I did not attend any webinars this week. I’m taking a break for the next few weeks since I have a lot of other things going on.
- I was so focused on making sure this wedding was perfect that all my other side hustles fell to the way side. I’m not upset about this decision, because I really wanted to give this wedding my all.
- I suffered a loss of a teammate at my full-time job this week (not death just no longer with the company) and it’s been really discouraging.
Extra Income Earned: $416.75
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
Survey and Offer Sites: $0.10
American Consumer Opinion: $5.15 currently in this account. (+ $0.00)
Inbox Dollars: $24.32(+$0.08) (I’ve been using this site for paid emails which give me $0.02 every time I click an email and I can cash out once my account reaches $30)
Swagbucks: 2,625 points (+2 SB) (I have now earned enough for a $25 gift card!)
ShopKick: 3,427 kicks (+25 kicks) If you sign up please use my referral code lincoln56422
Ibotta: $4.50 (+$0.00) If you sign up using my referral code RKIOW, you will instantly start with $10.00 in your account, and I’ll get $5.00)
Mystery Shopping: $0.00 (I took this week off)
Affiliates: $116.40 (The Genius Blogger’s Toolkit which is sadly no longer available)
Miscellaneous: $300.00 (this was from my first paid wedding coordinating gig)
Extra Income Received: $344.00
Mystery Shopping Company #1: $44.00
Wedding Coordinating: $300.00
Goals I Accomplished This Week
- Publish 1 Post- Fail. This past week was a whirlwind.
Goals for Next Week
My only goals this week are to have 1 post published and to work on catching up on my coaching group assignments. I hope to continue working on additional goals if time allows though.
- Publish 1 Post
- Catch up on coaching group assignments
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!