Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business. (Please know, that affiliate links may be used in this post which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through some of my links. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 6 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog Improvements
- My week in Review
- Extra Income Earned
- Extra Income Received
- Goals I accomplished During the Week
- Goal for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
- I successfully added a subscription box within the content of my posts using the Rapidology Plug-In.
Time spent on my blog this week:
- I only spent about 2-3 hours on the blog this week. To be honest, this was an emotionally exhausting week for me.
I published my October 2016 Income Report!
- I did not add any plug-ins this week.
- I did not add any new affiliate partners this week.
- I am at 62 email subscribers this week, which means I gained 5 new subscribers this week. I’m happy to see an increase from my normal 2-3 per week. I think this small increase was due to my adding a subscription box within the content of my posts.
- Here is what my analytics looked like compared to last week:
|Last Week||This Week|
|Average Session Duration||01:01||00:54||-00:07|
- So my bounce rate increased quite a bit this week. I think this was because when you publish Income Reports, people typically just look straight for your statistics and income instead of actually reading the post itself.
My Week in Review
- I had my highest sales week at my job this week!
- I finished one book this week! (I’ve been in a major reading slump)
- I watched the latest episode of American Horror Story this week without being scared. Trust me this is a big deal for me!
Productivity Tips & Tricks:
- I truly did not feel like working on my blog at all this week, but I pushed myself to at least try to be active on Pinterest at least once a day. My suggestion to you would be to pick one thing and remain productive if you’re having a rough time staying motivated.
- I did not attend any webinars this week. I’m taking a break for the next few weeks since I have a lot of other things going on.
- A few weeks ago my husband and I both applied for seasonal positions with Amazon Fresh. He heard back from his application and was invited to start. I discovered there was an error with my application, and long story short no one can tell me what it is, there is no one I can speak to about it, and the only way I can resolve it is to start the application process all over again which I’m not sure I’m willing to do.
- This is the first week I just did not make an effort to earn extra money. I need to step up my game again.
Extra Income Earned: $0.66
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
Survey and Offer Sites: $0.66
American Consumer Opinion: $5.30 currently in this account. (+ $0.15)
Inbox Dollars: $24.80(+$0.48) (I’ve been using this site for paid emails which give me $0.02 every time I click an email and I can cash out once my account reaches $30)
Swagbucks: 2,628 points (+3 SB) (I have now earned enough for a $25 gift card!)
ShopKick: 3,427 kicks (+0 kicks) If you sign up please use my referral code lincoln56422
Ibotta: $4.50 (+$0.00) If you sign up using my referral code RKIOW, you will instantly start with $10.00 in your account, and I’ll get $5.00)
Mystery Shopping: $0.00 (I took this week off)
Extra Income Received: $0.00
Goals I Accomplished This Week
- Publish 1 Post- Pass! I published my October 2016 Income Report!
- Catch up on coaching group assignments-Fail. I didn’t spend time doing this.
Goals for Next Week
I think I’m in a blogging slump where I am just completely unmotivated which is really hard for me. I really love blogging, so I think I am going to assign myself one thing each day to focus on for about 30 minutes-1 hour, and then give myself one day off. I think that’s very reasonable and I think doing this could help me get back on track. Here’s my game plan for the week:
Monday- Edit content and picture for Thursday’s post. Work on coaching assignments.
Tuesday- Add my disclosure policy to the footer of my blog and remove from my menu
Wednesday- Research new themes (hopefully decide on one and purchase it)
Thursday- Publish post. Promote
Friday- Take night off
Saturday- Get Thrive landing pages and install it on my blog
Sunday- Figure out how to automate my freebie
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!