Hello my dear readers! For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost. (this post contains affiliate links, but only those I personally use)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
So this is the end of week 9 of the life of my beloved blog. I had a rough start to my week as far as being motivated goes, but I feel I finished this week pretty strong. I decided on Sunday of this past week that I am going to switch from posting 3 times a week (plus a weekly update) to 2 times a week plus a weekly update. I think this will allow me to continue to make the blog improvements I wish to make, and improve the overall quality of my posts.
You can check them out here:
- I updated my About Me page a bit!
- I deleted some of my earlier narrative posts about starting a blog and combined them into 2 weekly posts!
- My husband and I have prepared to pay off our first loan in full (one payment) early next week! I have been talking about paying down our debt for years now, and now we are finally at a point where we are both determined to do it!
- I received a property tax refund this week! This was completely unexpected so that was pretty excited!
- I trained my replacement at work this week so I get to start my new position on Monday!
- I signed up for quite a few new mystery shops in July that should bring me a much larger amount of extra income next month! Yay!
- My husband received a bonus at work this week that we weren’t expecting! (I won’t be including this in my extra income report though since this came from his job)
- I got to go to my first advanced screening for a movie! And I was able to spend time with my husband and younger brother and sister in law who saw Finding Dory with us! (Baby Dory is adorable!)
- My car got an oil change this week and I had a coupon so I didn’t break my budget!
- The new season of Orange is the New Black is out!!! I am already on episode 10 and this became available on Netflix yesterday!!!
Extra Income I Earned: $66.63
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Recommendations page)
I had to get really creative this week to meet my goal of earning $50 in extra income, since there weren’t any mystery shops this week. So, a friend informed me Sprint is currently offering a $50 referral incentive when you refer people you know to join Sprint. Since he was joining Sprint I referred him and in a few weeks we will both be getting $50 visa cards!
American Consumer Opinion: $4.45 currently in this account. (+ $1.00)
Inbox Dollars: $19.58 (+$2.13)
Swagbucks: 382 points (+50 points)
Mystery Shopping: $13.00 (this is a reimbursement for a dinner shop I did and I did not actually earn any extra money from this shop)
Referrals: $50.00 (sprint referral incentive)
Extra Income I Received: $134.34
- $71.34 refund check
- $63.00 mystery shopping
This Week’s Goals:
I decided that each week I will set 10 small goals for my blog. All of them should be helping me reach my bigger goals that I set each month.
- Publish 3 posts – Pass! I posted How to Meal Plan, Where to Find Cheap or Free Books, Starting a Blog: Week 1, Starting a Blog: Week 2
- Earn $50 in Extra Income-Pass! I earned $66.63! I am so proud of how creative I was (thanks to my friend)! There were no mystery shops besides the dinner shop I completed this week. Instead I focused on trying to build my business, improving my blog, surveys, and looking for additional extra income sources.
- Improve my About Me Page-Pass! I spent time editing this but it’s not fully updated yet so I hope to finish that sometime this week!
- Combine all of my early “starting a blog” posts – Pass! This took about 2 hours but I am very glad I did this as I think it will make my blog look more professional overall!
- Grow my business Pinterest account to 750 followers – Fail. I have 690 followers currently.
- Work on my Tumblr page – Pass! I updated my profile picture, my background, and included the name of my blog. I’m going to have to take some time to figure out the rest though.
- Update all of my pictures on my blog- Fail. But I did update half of them! I should finish the rest by tomorrow!
- Create content schedule through the end of 2016-Fail. I did create a content schedule for August though! Partial points for that!
- Apply to 2 new affiliate partners! – Fail. Didn’t even give thought to this, this week.
- Work on having content prepared 1 day ahead of time-Pass! I was able to prepare the pictures for my posts this past weekend and had my content ready to be published the day before it was due!
Next Week’s Goals:
- Update all of the pictures on my blog
- Apply to 2 new affiliate partners
- Have content prepared 1 day ahead of time
- Grow my business Pinterest account to 800 followers
- Earn $50 in extra income
- Publish 2 posts
- Work on my Tumblr page
- Update the pages to have drop down menus
- Create content schedule through end of 2016
- Grow my subscription list to 10
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I do know that growing this blog is going to become a lot harder now that I am starting my new position, but I plan to push through! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!