Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business.
If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost. (Please know, that I am an affiliate partner for Bluehost which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through my link. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
Week 18 has come and gone! This week was very different for me. If you have been following along in my “Starting a Blog” series, you have probably noticed that I have been struggling the past 2 months on staying active and consistent. Now I know one of the reasons for this was due to my having several family obligations throughout the past 3 months. But I hate excuses, and honestly I just didn’t put in the time and effort necessary to help this blog grow during the past two months.
This week though, I came to the decision that I want this blog to become my full-time business. I truly love helping you work towards financial freedom, and living the best life you can imagine! So, I decided to basically hit refresh on this blog. I don’t like the way my blog looks, the quality of my articles and photos, my About Me page, and everything else basically. I want to provide my readers with more and make the content I share worth your time and mine.
This week I decided to commit to several free webinar training’s offered by a variety of successful bloggers and entrepreneurs. In fact, I attended 4 webinar trainings during my lunch break at work, and 1 webinar when I got home one evening. This means I attended 5 total webinars this week and had planned to take 2 others but time did not allow for me to do so. I still plan on trying to attend these other 2 webinars at a later date if possible.
During all this training, I decided to switch my focus from pumping out content multiple times each week to once each week. While I may be posting less content than I had been when originally started this blog, please know I am going to be publishing content that is much higher in quality. Because I want to invest my time back into you instead!
If you can bear with me during the next few weeks while I begin implementing the tips and knowledge I learned during this week I promise you will begin to notice a change. Even if it is small changes, I am sure it will be worth your while to stick around!
(this week was a guest post by Oli, the writer and owner of Patchesoft.com)
- I attended 5 free training webinars this week all focused on how to improve my blog. This was so important this week, as I made sure to only attend webinars that I felt would be beneficial to me at this stage in my blog’s life. Let me tell you, this wasn’t originally planned. I found the course by Raelyn Tan first, then I found Mike Dillard’s webinar, and all of a sudden I was seeing free webinar training everywhere. I am going to start taking 1-2 training webinars each week. Here are the webinars I attended:
- 3 Strategies to Grow Your Email List Fast by Raelyn Tan
- How to Double Your Traffic and Email List in 30 Days by Melissa Griffin
- Passive Income Without A Product by Addi Ganley
- How to Get 10,000 Fans, Publish a Book, and More by Jeff Goins
- List Building Webinar by Mike Dillard
- I published my first guest post by Oli from Patchesoft.com this week! Be sure to check out the post I wrote on his blog as well! How to Improve Your Blog When You’re Exhausted
- I finished 2 books this week!
2. My husband and I joined a gym! So, we have been wanting to invest some of our budget back into ourselves for a few months. Since we paid off our first loan, we now have money in the budget to be able to do this. We are both 100% happy with this decision as we had both lost a significant amount of weight when we first met and have since gained an even larger amount of weight back. So, this will be the first time we have focused on losing weight, gaining muscle, and becoming healthier together and we are excited. I also attended my first of 4 beginning training sessions with a personal trainer this week and attended my first Zumba class in over a year! Woo…I have lots of work to get back to where I was physically previously.
3. I earned my 3rd free book of the summer from my local library during our summer reading challenge! Woot free books!
4. I was able to spend some time with co-workers after work this week to celebrate all of our hard work thus far
Extra Income I Earned: $8.42
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
I decided to not pursue making extra income from my usual sources this week so I could devote all my time to working on setting a new direction for my blog.
American Consumer Opinion: $9.25 currently in this account. (+ $0.00)
Inbox Dollars: $21.42 (+$0.38)
Swagbucks: 2,459 points (+1004 SB) (1000 SB was from when I took advantage of purchasing trash bags from Walmart 2 months ago and I already claimed those points so I will not include them in total earned this week)
ShopKick: 15,307 kicks (+35 kicks)
Mystery Shopping: $8.00
Extra Income I Received: $0.00
(please note I had to update last week’s post as I actually received $185.85 last week instead of the $139 originally reported. I did not receive any funds for this week)
This Week’s Goals:
Originally, I decided that each week I will set 10 small goals for my blog. All of them should be helping me reach my bigger goals that I set each month. I am changing this up because I want to start focusing on one goal at a time and then adding more on as I complete them.
- Update About Me section-Fail. I’m not too disappointed I didn’t meet this goal. I did start to rewrite it, but I want this to be a perfect page for you to learn about who I am and to why I created this blog. So I am okay if this takes a few weeks to finalize.
- Finalize guest post swap-Pass! Oli (from Patchesoft.com) and I have been talking about swapping guest posts for almost 2 months now. The reason it took this long, was because I had so many commitments happening these past few months. So I really appreciate how patient and understanding Oli was throughout this whole process.
- Identify areas to work on in blog-Pass! As I mentioned in my intro to this weekly update, I spent this week taking as many webinars as I could find that I feel would be relevant to the blogging stage I am currently at.
- Publish 1 post-Pass! Hopefully, you’ve checked out the first guest post ever featured on my blog! If not, check it out here: How to Enjoy Blogging Without Worrying About Making Money
Next Week’s Goals:
- Implement Pinterest strategies I learned during Melissa Griffin’s training course.
- Begin editing and improving my previous content to provide higher quality content.
- Update my About Me page.
- Focus on growing my email subscription list.
- Start looking for a new theme for my blog.
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!