Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business.
If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost. (Please know, that I am an affiliate partner for Bluehost which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through my link. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
Week 22 is complete! I had a little bit of a setback towards the end of this week. On Wednesday evening, I pulled a muscle in my shoulder by trying to reach too far for my hairbrush that fell. Have you ever done this before? The next morning though, my neck and lower back were in a serious amount of pain. It was the kind that makes you want to cry and throw-up and not move all at the same time. So I left work an hour early on Thursday, and went to my chiropractor on Friday, which really seemed to help. On Saturday, the pain started to move to the lower left part of the back of my head. I took a lot of Advil and stretched continuously, and rested a lot. Thankfully, this morning I woke up and it doesn’t hurt nearly as bad. I am able to work and focus again!
- Joined a free-lance writing challenge group. Haven’t done anything with it though. I plan on stepping that up in the next few weeks.
- I worked on sending my first campaign aimed at getting to know all my lovely readers and how I could best help them. I really hope to start generating some engagement with you all this way.
- I made a list of all the group boards I am currently a member of on Pinterest to help keep track of what I am posting, where and when. Until I get either Tailwind or Boardbooster up and running, this is a good plan for me and seems to be helping a lot. Because of this, I have been super productive on Pinterest and have been making massive progress!
- I created my pictures for the rest of this month’s posts. Yay!
- I’ve been very involved in the blogging coaching group I joined and am really finding the accountability alone to be very helpful.
- My daily page views have grown massively from about 50 a day to almost 700 a day!!! Woahhhhh!!!!!
- I went to the gym 4 times this week.
- I have set a goal to pay off our next loan by 12/31/16. This means that after our set payments, we need to come up with $2,845 in 4 months. Roughly $750 per month.
- We had a few unexpected expenses come up this week including a vet bill, and unexpectedly high property taxes due next month. Thankfully, we don’t have to dip into our emergency fund for these but it probably means we won’t be able to meet my above goal.
Extra Income I Earned: $112.13
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
American Consumer Opinion: $10.55 currently in this account. (+ $1.00) I cashed this out this week so I should be getting this in my PayPal account in about 6 weeks.
Inbox Dollars: $22.48 (+$0.34)
Swagbucks: 2,484 points (+4SB)
ShopKick: 15,512 kicks (+100 kicks)
Mystery Shopping: $71.00 ($12 reimbursement for dinner)
Company #1: $53.00
Company #2: $18.00 ($12 is reimbursement for dinner)
Affiliates: $0.00 (Bluehost)
Extra Income I Received: $20.00
Mystery Shopping Company #2: $20.00
This Week’s Goals:
- Complete all of the assignments in my coaching group-Pass! I emailed everyone on my list a survey to try and get to know my readers and what you are wanting help with financially. I plan to continue doing this as time progresses.
- Publish 1 post and 1 weekly update-Pass! I published How to Sell Your Creativity and this weekly update.
- Add 10 new email subscribers-Fail. But I did increase my subscribers from 22 to 30! That’s 8 new people which is more then I have ever gotten in 1 week. I hope to keep increasing this number as time goes on.
- Increase my average monthly viewers on Pinterest to 20,000 and my daily impressions to 8,000- Fail. While I did not meet these lofty numbers (which I set really high) I did see a large increase in just one week. My average monthly viewers grew from around 10,000 to over 12,000 and my daily impressions has grown from a consistent 300-500 viewers a day to 1500-2000 daily impressions consistently. Last week I mentioned that I saw a spike over over 4,000 daily impressions and this did happen, but my consistent number right now is around the 2,000 mark which I still see as huge improvement.
Next Week’s Goals:
- Start my free trial with Tailwind.
- Identify what I am going to create as my “Freebie” item for new email subscribers.
- Decrease my bounce rate. (Right now it’s at 90% which is AWFUL but is was still high around 67-70% when I was only getting 50 page views a day so once I get consistent page views I need to tackle this problem)
- Finish my About Me Page
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!