Hello my dear readers!
For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. I think I will run this “Starting a Blog” series for 52 weeks to provide a well-rounded beginning to starting a blog that you fully intend to turn into a business. (Please know, that affiliate links may be used in this post which means I would earn a little bit of money if you decide to purchase through some of my links. But, I promise to always be honest and to only recommend those things that I personally use and enjoy!)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 6 categories to help summarize my progress each week.
- Blog Improvements
- My week in Review
- Extra Income Earned
- Extra Income Received
- Goals I accomplished During the Week
- Goal for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
- I figured out how to change my logo!!! Now it’s not perfect by any means but the important thing is that I know how to do this now!
- I also updated my category options to simplify them into just three categories. Make Money, Save Money, Blogging.
Time spent on my blog this week:
- Well, I definitely did not spend a lot of time working on my blog this week. It was very strange, because I still got a lot done. I think I spent about 9-10 hours working on my blog this week.
- I did not add any plug-ins this week.
- I did not add any new affiliate partners this week. It’s not part of my plan this month, but I’m hoping to buy an affiliate marketing course very soon to start working on this next month.
- I am at 55 email subscribers this week, which means I gained 4 new subscribers. I plan on focusing on why this isn’t growing faster soon, but I’m hoping to see an increase now that my landing page has been created and an even bigger increase once I get the automation of my freebie set up!
- Here is what my analytics looked like compared to last week:
|Last Week||This Week|
|Average Session Duration||00:37||00:55||+00:18|
- So I’m genuinely worried about this drop in traffic again. I stayed active on Pinterest during the week, I even started posting pins in group boards twice each day. While I did see an increase on Pinterest, it’s not bringing readers to my site so I need to improve this. But, I mentioned that I noticed this in my blogging coaching group and apparently it’s not just me noticing this decrease these past few weeks. So I plan on keeping an eye on this and really focusing on increasing traffic next month.
My Week in Review
- I made another $200 payment towards the care credit we took out for my cat’s surgery. We currently owe $1,300 on this card, which I am hoping we can pay off this month. Once we have this paid off, we can start tackling my personal credit card which has around a $3,000 balance on it due to our cat’s surgery as well. I’m hoping we can have this one paid off in February.
- I went to the gym twice. I would like to be going 4-5 times a week, but the important thing is that I’m continuing to go.
Productivity Tips & Tricks:
- Honestly, I haven’t been as productive as I have been in previous weeks. But it’s interesting, because I feel like I’ve gotten more done in less time. This is because I created a small goal list, and focused solely on this list during my time. So the tip I have this week is:
- Create a short focused to-do list
- Attack that list during the time you set aside
- I did not attend any webinars this week. I didn’t look for any either so it was nice to not worry about this.
- I had mentioned last week that the battery died on my car last week. My husband was kind enough to take it to be checked over, because I was also worried about my transmission fluid and if anything else was going on with my car. The good news was, there wasn’t technically anything wrong with my car which is great! However, they did tell me my battery would need to be replaced sometime within the next 6 months. Since winter is coming up, we made the decision to go ahead and purchase a new battery so that I wouldn’t be left stranded somewhere in the cold. I also replaced my windshield wipers (personal choice not an upsell) because they have never been replaced and they were getting really streaky. So this was $195 out of our pockets this week.
- My husband and I made the decision that we would like to try and attend a financial workshop together. I found about this free 6 month research program that would actually pay us to participate. So, we met with a program manager this week and unfortunately were randomly placed in the control group. Which means we don’t get to participate in the workshop aspect, but we did each get a $20 Target gift card so that was something. In 6 months we could earn another $20 each from completing a final survey. We’re just disappointed because we really wanted to improve our financial mindset as a couple. So now, we are just going to find another way to do this.
- I have shared previously that I started in a new position within my company in June of this year. This is a sales job which is a job I really wanted since it came with a large salary increase and commission and is something I enjoy doing. Well, I had previously been told I was getting a larger commission check then I am most likely going to be getting this month. So…the plan at the beginning of this month was to have the care credit we took out for my cat completely paid off this month. Depending on if I get the full commission amount this month or not will determine if we are able to do this. It’s kind of disappointing if this doesn’t work out, so I’ll keep you posted.
- We spent over our designated food budget this week, basically because we went out to eat again for the 2nd week in a row. Not a huge deal, since we have lots of meat in our freezer and food in our cabinets so I’m hoping I can reduce our grocery budget by half these next two weeks to compensate.
Extra Income Earned: $31.74
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Resources page) Please note I do not include Google AdSense income here because it isn’t confirmed until a month later.
Survey and Offer Sites: $0.64
American Consumer Opinion: $4.00 currently in this account. (+ $0.30)
Inbox Dollars: $23.88 (+$0.26) (I’ve been using this site for paid emails which give me $0.02 every time I click an email and I can cash out once my account reaches $30)
Swagbucks: 2,620 points (+8 SB) (I have now earned enough for a $25 gift card!)
ShopKick: 3,327 kicks (+110 kicks) If you sign up please use my referral code lincoln56422
Ibotta: $4.50 (+$0.75) If you sign up using my referral code RKIOW, you will instantly start with $10.00 in your account, and I’ll get $5.00)
Mystery Shopping: $10.00
Company #1: $10.00
Affiliates: $0.00 (Bluehost)
Miscellaneous: $20.00 Target gift card
Extra Income Received: $168.00
Mystery Shopping Company #1: $148.00
Miscellaneous: $20.00 Target gift card (from participating in a research group study. My husband also made $20.00 from this but that is his portion to do with as he wishes so I will not include it here)
Goals I Accomplished This Week
Woo Hoo I met all my goals again this week!
- Finalize my freebie to improve the branding and design-Pass! I don’t think I’ll ever be done finalizing tools and resources I want to offer you. But for now I think this is a good start.
- Figure out how to add my disclosure in my footer instead of in my tabs bar- Pass! I did figure out how to do this in a few different ways, but I didn’t like how it looked. So I do count this as passed, but I still have to apply this in a way that will look nice.
- Update my category options- Pass! Now I just have to go back and edit my posts with the new categories.
- Publish 1 post- Pass! I published Life Insurance and What it Means to You
- Write 2 more posts- Pass! One of these was for a future guest post I have lined up, but I still count it.
Goals for Next Week
- Install a landing page on my blog
- Brand my Pinterest boards
- Join all the social media groups recommended by Finding Your Tribe Online
- Publish 1 post
- Write 2 posts
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!