Hello my dear readers! For those who don’t know I decided that I wanted to chronicle my experience of starting a blog. The intent is so others can learn what it takes to start a blog, learn from my mistakes throughout the process, and to hopefully provide some humor and enjoyment to your day. If you want to learn how to start a blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so through Bluehost. (this post contains affiliate links, but only those I personally use)
I’ve decided these weekly updates will be posted on weekends and will consist of 7 categories.
- Blog posts that I published
- Blog Improvements
- Personal Accomplishments
- Extra Income I earned
- Extra Income I received
- Goals I accomplished during the week
- Goals for Next Week
I know this will be very similar to my monthly income reports, but I think having weekly and monthly goals are going to help me stay focused and break my bigger goals down into smaller ones. This should help me in accomplishing my monthly goals, but also allow me to celebrate additional small successes that may happen throughout each week.
So this is the end of week 8 of the life of my beloved blog. I must say I did not have the most productive week as I only met 2 of my goals, but I was traveling a good portion of the week. I’ll step my game up again next week because I am determined to succeed.
You can check them out here:
How to Create a Budget That Works For You (plus a free template)
- I installed a plugin called TinyPNG that will automatically reduce the file size of my pictures therefore increasing the speed of my pages loading and saving me file space.
- I’ve been going through and changing my post pictures to vertically optimized pictures to be used on Pinterest. This has been taking me a lot of time but I think the overall quality of my pictures is improving.
- I figured out how to have the pictures of my posts displaying on my homepage. Again, this was another super simple thing that I made out to be super complicated. All I had to do was upload my image a second time in the feature image section of each post! I’m dumb lol.
- I created a budgeting template that I am giving for free to anyone who subscribes to receive email notifications from my blog!
- I have 52 Twitter followers currently! (This is a blog improvement because I did nothing other than tweet this week and my following grew!)
- I adjusted my Content Views widget to show only 3 posts at a time, and to show the visual thumbnail only instead of the thumbnail and the title of the post. I’m hoping this will make these posts more noticeable and easier to view when browsing through my blog.
- I was able to see my youngest brother graduate high school this week!
- I was also able to spend time with my family and celebrate my mom’s birthday while I was visiting.
- I started actually working towards building my other business!
- I bought some new clothes! (Keep in mind, I have been wearing a lot of the same clothes since college so….when I am willing to buy a piece of clothing, I let myself because it almost never happens)
- I bought the first Christmas present of the year! (No I do not jump ahead in holidays, but when I find a perfect gift at a fantastic price throughout the year, I buy it so then I’m not as tight on money towards the end of the year).
- I went to the dentist! (It’s been a little over a year since my last appointment so it was definitely time)
- I went to several yard sales this Saturday! (For those who don’t know I love yard sales and thrift stores, and haven’t been in probably a year)
Extra Income I Earned: $47.92
(If you would like to learn how you can start earning extra income, check out my Recommendations page)
American Consumer Opinion: $3.45 currently in this account. (+ $0.10)
Inbox Dollars: $17.39 (+$1.13)
Swagbucks: 332 points (+69 points)
Mystery Shopping: $46.00
Extra Income I Received: $0.00
This Week’s Goals:
I decided that each week I will set 10 small goals for my blog. All of them should be helping me reach my bigger goals that I set each month.
- Publish 3 posts – Fail. I published 2 posts and did not post a 3rd honestly because I was tired and I just needed to take a night off Friday. I’m not too disappointed in myself though, because I did start writing about 4 different posts in preparation for yesterday, but none of them felt right.
- Earn $50 in extra income- Fail. I was so close to this! I made $47.92 in extra income this week.
- Combine all of my early “starting a blog” posts- Fail. I plan on doing this next week as this is going to take some time to do.
- Change all of my pictures to vertically optimized pictures for Pinterest – Fail. I will bring this back as a goal in a few weeks, it’s just going to take a while.
- Have 1 week worth of content prepared ahead of time- Fail. I think I’m going to remove this goal for a while, because it’s turning out to be much harder than anticipated.
- Grow my business Pinterest account to 650 followers- Fail. I have 589 followers. I didn’t really do much with Pinterest this week as I wanted to see what kind of “organic” growth I could get. 63 followers just happening on their own isn’t too bad in my opinion.
- Figure out how to display a picture of me on the home page of my blog-Pass! There’s a picture of me in the top of my sidebar now! Go check it out!
- Apply to 1 new affiliate partner- Fail. I really need to step up my game with this.
- Grow my Twitter followers to 45- Pass! I actually let this happen on its own. I did not do anything other than tweet stuff this week and I grew to 52 followers!
- Work on my Tumblr page-Fail. I did not look at my Tumblr page at all. Sad.
Next Week’s Goals:
- Publish 3 posts
- Earn $50 in Extra Income
- Improve my About Me Page
- Combine all of my early “starting a blog” posts
- Grow my business Pinterest account to 750 followers
- Work on my Tumblr page
- Update all of my pictures on my blog
- Create content schedule through the end of 2016
- Apply to 2 new affiliate partners!
- Work on having content prepared 1 day ahead of time
Guys this blogging business is so much fun!!!! I am so committed and I can’t wait to see how my blog continues to grow! I do know that growing this blog is going to become a lot harder now that I am starting my new position, but I plan to push through! I hope that you are feeling inspired to start your own blog or to follow your own dreams! If you’d like to start your own blog, I created a tutorial on how to do so using BlueHost. Check out my How to Start a Blog Page to start your own blog!
Share below what you have been doing this week to meet your blogging and personal goals!